Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 1024
  • stats Total Posts: 23403
  • stats Total Topics: 1759
  • stats Total Categories: 12
  • stats Total Boards: 25
  • stats Most Online: 3076

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Oil tank  (Read 3741 times)

Offline Bertrg10

• Inazuma Member
  • Bike: Black Inazuma
  • City / Town: West London
Oil tank
« on: July 08, 2014, 07:47:38 AM »
It seems I had a leaking oil filter which I replaced and topped up the engine oil.  Now the bike is burning and drinking oil and especially at 6k revs.  Any clues as to the issue?  Also, how do you check the oil level when the cap doesn't have a dip stick checker?  Cheers
Always ride assuming there is an idiot about to get you!

Offline Bertrg10

• Inazuma Member
Re: Oil tank
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 08:39:38 AM »
 :164: Ok, found the inspection window (Doh). However, it just reflects my face.  Does that mean it is empty?  Cheers

Offline scoot

• Inazuma God
  • Ride safe Ride often
  • Bike: GO ON RIP IT OFF
  • City / Town: Bridlington
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 08:45:19 AM »
Don't forget bike off stand and upright
Scoot
Adventure...BEFORE... Dementia

Offline Bertrg10

• Inazuma Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 08:48:19 AM »
Hi Scoot.

Did that but the window appears like a mirror and all I see is the back ground.  I'm hoping that is good.  The poor performance and smoke is worrying me.  When I look in to the oil cap aperture - I don't see much at the bottom and again it simply reflects the sky!

Offline Rucifa

• Inazuma Master
  • Bike: ...Sold
  • City / Town: Queanbeyan
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 10:18:00 AM »
With the bike not running and upright on the centre stand or a paddock stand you should be able to see the oil through the window. If the window is black then the oil is what you are seeing and it probably needs changing. If you see nothing except the inside of the sump (silver coloured metal) then you need to add some oil.

I'm not a mechanic and this is my first bike but I'm guessing that if you had a leak and most of the oil leaked out without you noticing and you were riding it for some time, you may have damaged some of the internal seals. This may be why you are blowing so much smoke.

If there is too much oil in the bike this may also be causing the smoke. From completely empty with a filter change you need 2.4 litres of oil according to the manual, mine took closer to 2.6 but that just may mean that the markings on the oil bottle aren't all that accurate.

This is an image I found on google of a different bike but you get the idea as the inazuma looks about the same when looking at the oil through the window. It should be easy to see the oil level.

Best of luck.

Offline hl3013st

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: inazuma black
  • City / Town: Heraklion
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 10:22:50 AM »
You should try to tilt the bike from the side of the oil window, if there is oil in the engine you will see it but you have to add oil
If you wanna a ride. Ride a Black horse :-)

Offline Bertrg10

• Inazuma Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 10:23:18 AM »
Rucifa

All sounds sensible and makes sense.  I fear I have done some damage of some sorts and have played safe and call Suzuki Assist to come out to check it over.  Hopefully the warranty will kick in even though no Suzuki garage is free to take it in for two weeks! Thanks