Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 1024
  • stats Total Posts: 23403
  • stats Total Topics: 1759
  • stats Total Categories: 12
  • stats Total Boards: 25
  • stats Most Online: 3076

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: position of brake lever  (Read 6869 times)

Offline Robell

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: GW250L3
Re: position of brake lever
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 07:10:56 PM »
I cover the rear during low speed manouveres, and occasionally on islands, where it can be useful to shed a little speed, without upsetting the bike by rolling off the throttle, or touching the front brake.

Only downside I can think of is that if you cover the rear and have an emergency situation, you might get on the back brake too soon and maybe lock up the rear wheel.
" it's better to burn out, than to fade away "

Offline cgblueman

• Inazuma God
  • Live to ride, ride to live...
  • Bike: Inazuma 250 RED!
  • City / Town: Athens
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 09:05:25 PM »
Some interesting and good points about not covering it constantly. It's just something I was taught but must admit it does get tiring. Also it's true what Robell said about maybe over doing it on the back brake too soon as your already on it. In a quick response to somebody cutting me up or something like that a couple of times I've over done it on the rear, probably due to that reason. I believed that by covering it always you were ready for emergencies to react quicker, but given that the back brake can easily lock the rear wheel if not treated with care, you end doing more harm than good. I think I'll stop covering it all the time. Thanks guys for your advice.

Offline scoot

• Inazuma God
  • Ride safe Ride often
  • Bike: GO ON RIP IT OFF
  • City / Town: Bridlington
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 10:37:49 PM »
Very rare I use back brake in fact I hardly use brakes if you can anticipate while riding you wont need brakes  only in emergency.
Even when in my car if I use the brake I always think its a sign of poor driving, a friend of mine an x police motor cycle trainer says if you use brakes you doing something wrong and I agree.
Scoot  :028:
Adventure...BEFORE... Dementia

Offline cgblueman

• Inazuma God
  • Live to ride, ride to live...
  • Bike: Inazuma 250 RED!
  • City / Town: Athens
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 08:36:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by scoot [+]
Very rare I use back brake in fact I hardly use brakes if you can anticipate while riding you wont need brakes  only in emergency.
Even when in my car if I use the brake I always think its a sign of poor driving, a friend of mine an x police motor cycle trainer says if you use brakes you doing something wrong and I agree.
Scoot  :028:

I understand the logic and obviously a good use of engine breaking is a smart riding skill. But I don't believe it's possible to only ever use brakes only in emergencies. For example, Scoot don't you even drag your back brake at slow speeds for stability when filtering or something like that?

Offline grumpy

• Inazuma Master
  • Bike: Inazuma in Black
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 10:10:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by cgblueman [+]
I understand the logic and obviously a good use of engine breaking is a smart riding skill. But I don't believe it's possible to only ever use brakes only in emergencies. For example, Scoot don't you even drag your back brake at slow speeds for stability when filtering or something like that?

As ever the reality is somewhere between the two...you only really learn what method to use, and when, through experience, but it's good to know the theory behind it too! Relying on engine breaking is considered 'old school' these days (but is how I was taught and still mainly do!), Mrs Grumpy is doing an Institute of Advanced Motorists driving course and their method has changed to using brakes rather than transmission to control speed. The thinking is that modern brakes are better able to cope with constant use and are cheaper to replace than a worn transmission. The likes of 'Roadcraft' (Police drivers/riders training manual) that Scoot's mate taught from were written mainly in the 60's(?) when brakes weren't what they are now!

Ride safe...what ever way you ride! :002:

Offline Rusty

• Inazuma Master
  • The ongoing saga of my Inazuma adventures.
  • Bike: Inazuma 250
  • City / Town: Darlington
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 10:37:31 AM »
Engine breaking is the way I do too without thinking, and with Blue's torque Iv gone through the town and not needed the brakes at all if the lights have gone my way. Just think well ahead and allow room to the vehicle in front. It makes for safer and smoother riding as a side effect too.
A Proud new owner from 0900 12/09/13

Offline Robell

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: GW250L3
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 11:54:17 AM »
 :460: Grumpy

I really struggled on an advanced car test as I was taught to go up and down thro the g/box, but now you slow on the brakes and select the appropriate gear for the speed.

tbh, that's less effective on a bike as there is no option but to go thro the gear sequence.

What is very noticeable is that car drivers are on the brakes, a lot earlier than us, on the approach to islands etc
" it's better to burn out, than to fade away "

disjointed-outlet