08 Feb 23, 03:42 am

Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 1254
  • stats Total Posts: 24124
  • stats Total Topics: 1913
  • stats Total Categories: 12
  • stats Total Boards: 25
  • stats Most Online: 3076

Author Removing wheels to get tires replaced  (Read 331 times)

• Offline Pickwick   us

• Inazuma Junior  ‐    12
    • Topic Author

Offline Pickwick

• Inazuma Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2015 GW250F
    Removing wheels to get tires replaced
    on: Nov 28, 2022, 08.44 pm
    Nov 28, 2022, 08.44 pm
    My old tires were both from 2014 so I bought new Pirellis. I have a Pit Bull rear stand but no front stand, so needed to rig up something to get by with. This may be a known technique but I didn't see it described in the forum.

I put the bike on the rear stand and locked the steering column. I used a scissor jack and a block of wood under the left fork and lifted about two inches, just enough to wiggle the wheel out; I did have to tap the threaded end of the axle with a punch, after it was unscrewed. Got the wheel out and put the axle back in (probably not necessary). Then I used a jackstand and another wood block under the right fork and lowered the bike so there's load on both sides.

I wish it was more stable but should be fine if I can keep from bumping it before I get back from the shop with the new tires mounted.

• Offline Pickwick   us

• Inazuma Junior  ‐    12
    • Topic Author

Offline Pickwick

• Inazuma Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2015 GW250F
    Re: Removing wheels to get tires replaced
    Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2022, 02.00 pm
    Nov 30, 2022, 02.00 pm
    So I got away with this but can't recommend it. Turns out there was a lot of wiggling and jostling required to line up the wheel and get the axle back through it, and the bike nearly tipped over a few times. Next time I'll tie ropes to the handlebars to keep it more solidly vertical.

I didn't have to remove the caliper for wheel removal, but did have to for reinstallation because it was impossible to get the disk back between the pads while trying to hold the wheel lined up with the hole for the axle.