Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 1153
  • stats Total Posts: 23839
  • stats Total Topics: 1841
  • stats Total Categories: 12
  • stats Total Boards: 25
  • stats Most Online: 3076

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Screen for the naked bike  (Read 157 times)

Offline MarkShelley

• Inazuma Junior
  • Bike: GW250, CB1100RB
  • City / Town: Cambridge
Screen for the naked bike
« on: November 24, 2021, 11:14:43 AM »
Just returned from an 80 mile trip on my recently acquired bike having fitted a new screen yesterday. It is very effective indeed, better than expected to be honest. I can now sit at 70mph with no wind on my chest or helmet buffeting.
This is the item
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352845718463?hash=item52273e63bf:g:8NsAAOSwDOFhl2TR

There are no instructions with it but if you have a bit of common sense it is pretty simple apart from the fact that the ‘arms’ that attach via the longer bolts to the handlebars and top yoke have to be manually adjusted, i.e. bent, to get them to fit. The cylindrical spacers are not quite long enough and for obvious reasons you need to make absolutely sure you tighten these bolts sufficiently so they do their previous job correctly. This action slightly distorts the arms. You then attach the brackets to the screen (small plastic washer on outside, large rubber washer on inside). Finally you bolt the screen brackets to the arms. This requires the arms to bend inwards. I opted to have the screen brackets outside of the arms, unlike on the photo on ebay, as it means you don’t need to bend the arms quite as much and it does not affect anything. Due to the proximity of the two bolts you will need an open ended spanner for the second one as a socket will not fit.
It is probably not strictly necessary but I stuck a small piece of foam to the bottom of the screen on the inside incase the wind pressure pushed it against the black plastic headlight shroud.

Online Resident Weevil

• Inazuma Junior
  • Bike: GW250,FZS600,H-D
Re: Screen for the naked bike
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 02:45:28 PM »
Looks nice dunnit? A screen is definitely on my 'list of things to get' for the old girl. I'm puzzled by the little cutout near the bottom of your screen though...

Offline MarkShelley

• Inazuma Junior
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 04:12:23 PM »
I suspect the cut-out is purely just a styling thing.

Offline tavurth

• Inazuma Junior
  • Bike: GW250
  • City / Town: Bodrum
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 04:15:29 PM »
I put a 70cm screen on mine. Thought it looked huge when it arrived but it's actually great, at 70mph there is almost no wind noise unless I'm standing up and fuel economy seems to be unaffected.

Offline tavurth

• Inazuma Junior
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 04:22:15 PM »
Easier to see in this one

Offline MarkShelley

• Inazuma Junior
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 04:27:30 PM »
I did seriously consider the taller version and sat on my bike with a tape measure to suss out where the top would sit and I decided to go with the smaller as I hate looking through screens, particularly if it is raining. I am currently experimenting with a clamp on extension which you can see in my ‘muff’ post (oh, err, missus! :001: ) but I will probably do without it ultimately.

Offline tavurth

• Inazuma Junior
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 04:33:02 PM »
I'm fairly tall so my head is just above the top of the screen, only really look down through it when there's a hole in the road or while off-roading and I don't do that after it's raining anyway  :008:

disjointed-outlet