Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 1139
  • stats Total Posts: 23790
  • stats Total Topics: 1834
  • stats Total Categories: 12
  • stats Total Boards: 25
  • stats Most Online: 3076

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Need help finding chain / sprocket  (Read 594 times)

Offline drfrost

• Inazuma Junior
Need help finding chain / sprocket
« on: August 01, 2021, 05:30:55 AM »
I'm having some trouble finding the right parts online. I have a Suzuki GW-250 2015. All of the numbers and letters on the models are confusing me because they change from brand to brand and not sure what is actually changing the part from fitting or what is simply a change in the name because the brand name is different. For the chain I'm pretty sure the letters after 520 don't really matter so much at it seems to be the difference between an non O ring, X ring or RX ring.

The manual says use DID520VF 116L, but then Suzuki OEM part website says to use RK 520KRO 116L, but both are really tough to find and the manufacture part is overpriced at $200+. I can find RK 520XSO, but it's a 120L. I'm thinking that all that matters is the chain needs to be O or X ring (think I only want X right?) 116 length and 520 thickness?

I think the sprocket size is 14/46, does that mean I can just buy any sprocket with in that size and I'm good? Amazon is telling me this one fits my bike.

https://www.amazon.com/JT-SPROCKETS-JTR823-46-SPROCKET-SUZ/dp/B01KV60YN0/ref=sr_1_4?_encoding=UTF8&dchild=1&pf_rd_i=B00VBQIV9E&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=17fcaff2-bcb5-4655-8900-a243cb8add8d&pf_rd_r=NRW54JWT0WR66MX83M2W&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_t=1601&qid=1627794348&rnid=404772011&s=automotive&sr=1-4&vehicle=2015-1-23264-20-----13956------1&vehicleId=1&vehicleName=2015+Suzuki+GW250

None of the top motorcycle part shops have been helpful at all. I put the model of the bike in and none of them have a match for my bike. The only matches are "universals" that aren't guaranteed at all and vary a lot between the sizes. If there are any recommendations that would be very helpful.

It's a bit confusing because ebay is saying this chain doesn't fit my bike, but it's the same dimensions. They are either wrong or there is something specific about this one that makes it not work on my bike.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223804065727?epid=1753477085&hash=item341bc307bf:g:z2AAAOSwn~Jd-~zU
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 06:28:04 AM by drfrost »

Offline WaffleHouse

• Inazuma Member
Re: Need help finding chain / sprocket
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 09:44:52 AM »
I believe you are correct about chain differences. There are differences in some dimensions such as pin diameter so you can't mix master llnks with different chains in general, but a given 520 chain with correct number of links should work fine.
Number of teeth on sprocket do matter if you want to keep your gearing the same.  The countershaft has its bike-specific dimensions so you definitely want one that fits your GW250.  When I was searching for rear wheel sprockets, I had a trouble finding one with different number of teeth than stock. But I finally found out that wheel sprockets that fit a GS500 (the twin) fit the GW250 just fine.
On my bike I used:
DID VX2 520 chain with 120 links and removed the extra links.
I went to 15/39 gearing.   It is fine if you live where there are no hills.
The 39T sprocket was for a GS500.

Offline DJN

• Inazuma Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2021, 02:09:07 PM »

"JT" sprockets  46/14;  specifically for the GW.

DID 520W/X2  X-Ring chain, of 116 links.

Offline drfrost

• Inazuma Junior
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 04:04:43 PM »
Thanks for the info. I bought a chain and put it on, sprockets were good. Something felt off though and ended up bringing to the shop To be safe.  Chain was too tight, but now it's riding pretty well.

One super weird thing and that's my top speed has drastically changed. I could easily hit 60mph before getting close to red line. Actually I've never red lined it, maybe once when I hit 82mph, but I don't think so.  Usually I don't go above 70mph.

Just now I was going almost 60mph and was very close to red line the rpm. There is absolutely no way I could go 70 or 80 without going into the red. I can feel it like it has me shifting sooner. The bike is very stable and smooth, feels good other than this..

Could just the chain cause that?

Offline WaffleHouse

• Inazuma Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 08:00:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by drfrost [+]

No.  Perhaps you are not shifting to 6th? Maybe the shift lever was inadvertently rotated on the shift shaft when you changed the countershaft sprocket and it is now not easy to shift to 6th?

Offline xris_xcess

• Inazuma Pro
  • Bike: Gw250l5
  • City / Town: Casablanca
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 05:15:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by drfrost [+]
Thanks for the info. I bought a chain and put it on, sprockets were good. Something felt off though and ended up bringing to the shop To be safe.  Chain was too tight, but now it's riding pretty well.

One super weird thing and that's my top speed has drastically changed. I could easily hit 60mph before getting close to red line. Actually I've never red lined it, maybe once when I hit 82mph, but I don't think so.  Usually I don't go above 70mph.

Just now I was going almost 60mph and was very close to red line the rpm. There is absolutely no way I could go 70 or 80 without going into the red. I can feel it like it has me shifting sooner. The bike is very stable and smooth, feels good other than this..

Maybe you had a 15t front sprocket and now its 14T? Thats the kind of change you would see. More torque lower end, but lower top speed and higher rpms
Candy Red 2015

disjointed-outlet