Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 1095
  • stats Total Posts: 23697
  • stats Total Topics: 1809
  • stats Total Categories: 12
  • stats Total Boards: 25
  • stats Most Online: 3076

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Ignition Replacement  (Read 688 times)

Offline Leon

• Inazuma Junior
Ignition Replacement
« on: January 28, 2021, 11:44:01 PM »
Hi guys,

really need some brains here to help me with my Zuma.

The story is that somebody attempted to steal it from a carpark and cut the ignition wiring in a very barbarian way (you can see it on photo, I assume they try to override my ignition system). The funniest thing that my bike didn't have any additional security but even though they failed to steal it.

Now I need to replace the ignition and the problem is that I can find any info how to disassemble it, it has really weird fixing and I can't turn these bolts counterclockwise (circled with red, I suspect I need to drill it but really want to avoid it), another type of fixing is totally unknow (circled with blue).

The fist idea is just to replace ignition wiring rather than replace the whole ignition as it will require me to replace fuel tank lock and baggage lock as well and I try to avoid it and keep the original set of keys.

If anyone has done it in the past or know where can I find a proper instruction it would be really great!

Any help or advice would be highly appreciated!!!!

Offline tookadum

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: Black = Fast!
Re: Ignition Replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 04:22:51 PM »
Never done it on an Inazuma but did a SV650 - that needed a security torx socket to release it (Sold by Suzuki)  - they are VERY tight and are also secured with some sort of very strong glue.
You can pick up a complete (used) set of ignition / fuel lock etc for about £60 off ebay but your suggestion regarding replacing the wiring is the easiest option if you can,

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left !

Offline Robell

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: GW250L3
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 05:30:22 PM »
I had mine stolen and returned, a few years back  :003:

iirc the pins securing the ignition switch are designed to be tightened, not loosened, so that thieves can't remove it.

You might get them undone, they have thread lock on them aswell. But otherwise the only way is to drill the heads off. To do that you'll have to take the top yoke off.

You can either buy the security bolts from Suzuki, or use standard pins.
tbh, the security bolts are a waste of time, when most thieves simply break the steering lock with a good boot
" it's better to burn out, than to fade away "

Offline Leon

• Inazuma Junior
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 11:40:22 PM »
Thanks guys, it looks like I will have a lot of work during the nearest holidays)))
Anyway if somebody knows any resource where people share how to replace the ignition please share it with me :440:

Offline tookadum

• Inazuma God
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 09:06:27 AM »

As I put previously - I think you will find that if you buy the kit from Suzuki (or ebay)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-Screws-Studs-Extractor-Broken-Damaged-Bolts-Screw-Remover-Puller-Tool-Set/174411285885?hash=item289bb9057d:g:6nEAAOSw7kRfR~J5

The bolts will not unscrew with any available tool as they don't have a head on for this - You just need to drill a small hole and screw in the bolt extractor - once you break the seal they will unscrew.

Failing that the only way to do it is to completely drill out the bolt and either re-tap it for a replacement bolt or just hold the barrel in with a nut and bolt.

Offline Leon

• Inazuma Junior
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 01:41:13 AM »
Thanks, Man you are the legend!!!

One more question, in addition to the secure bolts, there are two other bolts (highlighted with green).

I assume that I need to unscrew them only if I want to replace the whole ignition and it might not be necessary at this stage.

However, I struggle to define what type of fixing is that, at first I thought that its a standard "plus" type bolt, but then I realise that it looks more like a cap.

Any idea what it might be?

Cheers

Offline tookadum

• Inazuma God
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 08:19:30 AM »
I think that is to remove the barrell?
Again as Robell suggested these are fixings designed to be put on and never removed without a similar tool to that which I put a link on ie. they have to be drilled.

It is not difficult to remove any of these bolts with that tool (or similar) and it's a doddle to rplace the bolts, once removed, with others of the same thread which are readilly available if you don't need to change the barrel. If you have a soldering iron I would consider just splicing a few new cables on - it will be a lot cheaper and easier to do?

disjointed-outlet