Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 1054
  • stats Total Posts: 23536
  • stats Total Topics: 1786
  • stats Total Categories: 12
  • stats Total Boards: 25
  • stats Most Online: 3076

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Saying goodbye to my Zuma  (Read 414 times)

Offline Alfie

• Inazuma Junior
  • Bike: BMW F800GT 2017
  • City / Town: Madrid
Saying goodbye to my Zuma
« on: October 07, 2020, 10:45:57 PM »
Well, it seems that if everything goes well, the moment to say goodbye to my Zuma has arrived after almost 4 1/2 years. Great bike indeed (my first one), 35k kms of learning and joy, but even when I modified it extensively (screen, top case, front sprocket, center stand and other small details) I was feeling that I need something more on the touring side. A BMW F800GT will be my new "montura" as we say in Spanish. I hope my black Zuma serves well to her next owner. Of course I'll still be around here reading and posting, even when I'm not quite active. Long life to the Suzie!

Offline tookadum

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: Black = Fast!
Re: Saying goodbye to my Zuma
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 06:56:08 PM »
Good luck with your new bike = good choice  :169:

My son has just purchased one with only 77 miles on the clock.   Am hoping to get a ride on it soon  :028:
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left !

Offline Alfie

• Inazuma Junior
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 09:09:45 PM »
Thanks Tookadum. Hope you will have your ride soon, I can tell you for sure your son did a good choice indeed. Great bike, not as maneouverable as the Zuma in the town due to a longer chassis but mostly a lot of clutch help needed at low speeds and on small corners, although easier to ride than expected. And more on the vibey side compared with the Inazuma, which is as soft as silk compared with the Beemer.

Offline onazoomerF

• Inazuma Member
  • Bike: GW250 F
  • City / Town: Perth
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 08:31:13 AM »
Hey, Alfie: I'm surprised the Beemer is not as smooth as the gw. But the GW sure is a great bike. It's a long time since I rode bigger bikes. I like this little guy just fine. Does almost all I want. Trouble with being human, you always want something different.

Offline Alfie

• Inazuma Junior
« Reply #4 on: Today at 01:05:12 PM »
Hi OnazoomerF. To be precise, the F800 isn't as smooth as the GW basically because of the engine design. The parallel-twin's crankshaft is at 360º (as well as the Triumph Bonneville's I think), while the Zumas is at 180º. This was done by BMW to remind the R-type boxer's behaviour, and that of course causes higher vibrations, which increase lineally through the rev range. For example, cruising at 5-6000 rpm in 6th gear in the Zuma is smoother than doing it in the Beemer at 3500 rpm, vibrations being noticeable mostly in the handlebars, but also in the seat. Nevertheless, I don't find them annoying, it's part of the bike's personality  :001: Besides, drive belt and superior length and suspension make it smoother to ride in any other aspect.

I also found the Inazuma a great bike indeed. I think that the problem was being the first one... and me still needing more in many aspects. I'm about to hit mi 50's, but it was my school bike for over 4 years (late biker  :169:) and taught me a lot (even being a car driving instructor as I am). But needs not only in commuting (70 kms a day in the highway) but also when riding for fun or trips (almost 500 kms in a day in the mountains a few weeks ago for fun, over 1000 kms in two days last year reaching Portugal's border from Madrid), made the need for a bigger bike. CB500X was my first choice, V-Strom 650 probably the best one (if I was taller  :164:), and if the Inazuma had 20-25hp more and ABS... would have been definitive.

I absolutely agree that our circumstances lead us to want something different. Inazuma was the perfect choice when I bought it (I just needed 15 minutes riding her to know it), but now times are changing... and sometimes you know you have met your partner right when you find her, it happened to me again with the GT.

Missing the light and nimble Zuma though... who knows in 10 years  :016:

disjointed-outlet