Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 1054
  • stats Total Posts: 23536
  • stats Total Topics: 1786
  • stats Total Categories: 12
  • stats Total Boards: 25
  • stats Most Online: 3076

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: clutch cover fastener thread  (Read 575 times)

Offline xris_xcess

• Inazuma Pro
  • Bike: Gw250l5
  • City / Town: Casablanca
clutch cover fastener thread
« on: June 30, 2020, 08:02:31 PM »
Hi!

BTW, anyone know what the thread of the screws that hold the clutch cover are?

And on the same line, anyone have used a thread repair kit? with the steel spring thread fitting? (helicoils?)

I have the slight feeling that I overdid one of the screws last time i looked at the clutch and want to be ready just in case  :187:
Candy Red 2015

Offline tookadum

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: Black = Fast!
Re: clutch cover fastener thread
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 09:18:04 AM »
Hi
Can't help you with the size of the thread that is there, an helicoil is an option. Not sure if you have used them before but there is usually a 'tab' on the helicoil that needs to be snapped off after insertion, it follows that this small tab needs to be removed in order that the thread will perform properly. Not sure if the screw hole goes in all the way into the engine / gearbox and the tab would drop into somewhere it shouldn't? 
I personally would just 'tap out' the hole with a slightly larger tap and put a larger bolt (obviously the same size as you tap the hole to) in there. Again though depending if the hole goes straight through into the engine / gearbox - if so you will need to drain the oil and remove any debris. If not you can just flush the hole out with some wd40 or similar. Have had it happen a lot.  :(
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left !

Offline xris_xcess

• Inazuma Pro
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 04:45:18 PM »
Hi!

I had been reading up on helicoil (install and what not) and also found the metal "sleeve" system from Wurth (winch looks pretty solid, but very expensive to get over here).

Thought I would give me an extra chance before actually tapping a larger thread.

Will have a closer look at the actual casing. Not sure I would like the end of the bolt peeping thru to the inside!  :005:

Thanks for the tips

« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 05:15:59 PM by xris_xcess »
Candy Red 2015

Offline Robell

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: GW250L3
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 08:13:45 PM »
Wurth Timeserts are vastly better than helicoils. Not sure if you can buy them in single sizes.

You are doing those pins up with a torque wrench ?  :002:
" it's better to burn out, than to fade away "

Offline xris_xcess

• Inazuma Pro
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 03:06:45 PM »
Hi,

Yes I used a torque wrench, but I don't think its precise enough at low NM. Last time I was also using a larger ratchet... bad combo. Fortunately I only had a bad feeling about one bolt only.

I don't actually know if there is any damage, but I would like to be prepared before I find out.

I must get a lower range torque wrench... but getting a quality one is a bit steep for me at the moment. Not to mention shipping/import duties. I think I might go old school and get a spring balance and calculate the torque I need.
Candy Red 2015

Offline xris_xcess

• Inazuma Pro
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 08:40:18 PM »
FYI:

m6x30mm (shaft), 35mm total
Candy Red 2015

disjointed-outlet