in: Kantara

Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 1030
  • stats Total Posts: 23450
  • stats Total Topics: 1766
  • stats Total Categories: 12
  • stats Total Boards: 25
  • stats Most Online: 3076

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Inazuma Vs BMW 310 GS?  (Read 388 times)

Offline j_newman1990

• Inazuma Junior
Inazuma Vs BMW 310 GS?
« on: July 22, 2020, 08:49:18 PM »
I am a bit confused. I am a new motorcyclist and I am trying to buy a new motorcycle, which can be used as a street bike and I can also do some off-road as well. I am comparing the Inazuma with the GS 310 and a little confused about which bike should I go for because as of my POV both bikes look similar to me so can any of the experienced rider compare these bikes for me? I have asked the same questn in the GS forums but could not get any satisfactory answers.

Offline xris_xcess

• Inazuma Member
  • Bike: Gw250l5
  • City / Town: Casablanca
Re: Inazuma Vs BMW 310 GS?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 01:04:43 AM »
Hello

That's a tricky combination. I would say the gs (with a pair of decent tyres) is more inclined to do some off-road. Plus is a more recent machine with probably more accessories available. You also get some more power.

The overall construction of the inazuma in not really geared for off road. having said that, I did see someone fit it out for off-road with decent results. Plus, factory gearing will favor lower revs.

I can not tell you much in terms of off-road for the zuma. I do mostly highway at 70mph (95%) and occasionally venture into the city. The zuma behaves very well in both. My road tyres do a poor job on gravel and even worse in mud. Plus the clearance is not great and you have the oil filter in prime position to be hit from below. The forks and shock also are not designed for that neither.

From the pics I see of the gs 310, I would say that its got higher clearance and better angle of attack for off road, while it would probably do fine on the highway. Specs say its slightly lighter also.

There are other variables you might consider though: Total Cost of Ownership. You pay up front for the bike... but how about servicing? how about spares? any special tools needed? aftermarket options? The advantage of the zuma is that the motor is used in the gsx, gw and dl (have you looked at that one? dl250, not sure if they sell over there, little brother of dl650 v-strom https://www.globalsuzuki.com/motorcycle/products/v-strom250_a/). Accessories for me here are a problem. Not many were sold and we never did get the 2017 model... so aliexpress is my goto.

I've had my zuma for 2 years, put 41k km on the clock. Ride almost every day. It has been a fantastic moto. Could not have picked a better first bike. Just right. I take good care of her, do all my own servicing. Best oil I can get, filters, sparks, chain etc...

Personally, I think you should decide clearly if you are going to like doing more off-road or not. If so, I would look into a dual-sport: if you take it on the road it will be fine and on the trail it will be fun to ride. If you take a commuter bike on the trail it will suffer...
Candy Red 2015

Offline Robell

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: GW250L3
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 08:04:55 PM »
The Inazuma isn't really an off-roader, in any case it's no longer available as a new model.
There is a 250 V-Strom, which might be ok, with suitable tyres.

afaik, the 310 BMW isn't available as an off-roader tho it is available new
" it's better to burn out, than to fade away "

Offline j_newman1990

• Inazuma Junior
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 08:21:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by xris_xcess [+]
Hello

That's a tricky combination. I would say the gs (with a pair of decent tyres) is more inclined to do some off-road. Plus is a more recent machine with probably more accessories available. You also get some more power.

The overall construction of the inazuma in not really geared for off road. having said that, I did see someone fit it out for off-road with decent results. Plus, factory gearing will favor lower revs.

I can not tell you much in terms of off-road for the zuma. I do mostly highway at 70mph (95%) and occasionally venture into the city. The zuma behaves very well in both. My road tyres do a poor job on gravel and even worse in mud. Plus the clearance is not great and you have the oil filter in prime position to be hit from below. The forks and shock also are not designed for that neither.

From the pics I see of the gs 310, I would say that its got higher clearance and better angle of attack for off road, while it would probably do fine on the highway. Specs say its slightly lighter also.

There are other variables you might consider though: Total Cost of Ownership. You pay up front for the bike... but how about servicing? how about spares? any special tools needed? aftermarket options? The advantage of the zuma is that the motor is used in the gsx, gw and dl (have you looked at that one? dl250, not sure if they sell over there, little brother of dl650 v-strom https://www.globalsuzuki.com/motorcycle/products/v-strom250_a/). Accessories for me here are a problem. Not many were sold and we never did get the 2017 model... so aliexpress is my goto.

I've had my zuma for 2 years, put 41k km on the clock. Ride almost every day. It has been a fantastic moto. Could not have picked a better first bike. Just right. I take good care of her, do all my own servicing. Best oil I can get, filters, sparks, chain, etc...

Personally, I think you should decide clearly if you are going to like doing more off-road or not. If so, I would look into a dual-sport: if you take it on the road it will be fine and on the trail it will be fun to ride. If you take a commuter bike on the trail it will suffer...

How's the sitting posture? because i have to ride it for about 100 km every day and is would prefer an upfront straight sitting posture.

Offline tian

• Inazuma Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 03:58:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by j_newman1990 [+]
How's the sitting posture? because i have to ride it for about 100 km every day and is would prefer an upfront straight sitting posture.
https://cycle-ergo.com/
seating posture is upright straight, but Wind is a major problem, wind shield is a must, if you are taller than 1m62/ 5'2, you need a tall touring windshield or anything that is taller than 320mm

Offline xris_xcess

• Inazuma Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 12:01:14 AM »
I second that. I end up crouching a little at higher speeds, but if not, you are quite comfortable. I find the stock seat is also decent on long rides.

If you are quite tall you might consider handlebar extenders.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32976847512.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.51746ec8FkVipY&algo_pvid=55460602-4ee4-4842-961f-bd9564de82a9&algo_expid=55460602-4ee4-4842-961f-bd9564de82a9-39&btsid=0ab6f82115964953914141513e519d&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Also, I have a puig screen, but it's on the short side (naked generation I think). It's not that ridiculous short thing, but neither that tall one. I'm 1.80m and I still get wind hitting the helmet. I've thought of getting an extra deflector. I'm told that the difference is quite a lot. So if you end up doing quite a lot of highway I recommend.
Candy Red 2015

Offline xris_xcess

• Inazuma Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 12:03:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by Robell [+]
The Inazuma isn't really an off-roader, in any case it's no longer available as a new model.
There is a 250 V-Strom, which might be ok, with suitable tyres.

afaik, the 310 BMW isn't available as an off-roader tho it is available new

I think he means this one:
Candy Red 2015