in: Kantara

Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 1046
  • stats Total Posts: 23514
  • stats Total Topics: 1781
  • stats Total Categories: 12
  • stats Total Boards: 25
  • stats Most Online: 3076

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Comparison of Inazuma 250 vs other bikes you've owned on Bumpy Roads.  (Read 2339 times)

Offline WaffleHouse

• Inazuma Member
Having lost two motorcycles and a large scooter in a fire in 2018, I bought a GW250 in 2019 and it was my only bike until December.  With overpopulation being what it is   :002: I mostly rode the GW250 on crappy back roads.  And I think it did a GREAT job. In December I bought a second bike  (Suzuki) with crappy suspension and in despair spent almost $2500 on front and rear fixes.  It is STILL not as nice as the GW250 on bumpy roads.
So I'm just curious what other think of their ex- or other bikes compared to the GW250.
Would especially welcome a suspension comparison with a GS500, but anything--even a newer Harley  :001: --would be interesting to me.

Thanks!

Offline tookadum

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: Black = Fast!
Re: Comparison of Inazuma 250 vs other bikes you've owned on Bumpy Roads.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 07:30:04 AM »
Well I guess I can give you first hand experience of the latter part of your question.

I do a lot of fishing, I usually go on days that end with a 'y'!

I had a naked GS500 that I used for everything (piccie attached) - the engine was punchy enough for motorways and it loved rough terrain - to compare it to the Inazuma in my opinion is like comparing twins, only difference is one was faster!   Due to divorce I reluctantly had to sell it.

After divorce / money was finalised I too had a scooter - I fitted a tow bar and towed a trailer of fishing gear over all terrain. Due to the light weight of the bike it performed well but the wheels were too small for muddy or rough terrain - thankfully it was stolen.

When I had my Inazuma I fitted a tow bar and towed a trailer laden with fishing gear over 'back roads' across fields and along canal towpaths. Although I rarely rode quickly across these area's I never 'held back' and the little Inazuma never let me down. Bumpy roads were handled with ease and due to the light weight of the bike it never got 'bogged down' in mud.
I am not 'fat' but am 'XL' size and I always keep my bikes rear suspension set at the 'mid point'.
I really loved my Inazuma and it could do all that I wanted i.e. 70mph down the motorway or transport me to the fishing venues laden with gear.

But then the darkside got me!  I brought a Harley Iron 883 which although could cope better than the Inazuma on motorways (obviously) it simply was all over the place on bumpy terrain - show it a patch of mud and it would show you how quickly it could get stuck!  It was too heavy and vibrated everywhere. Bad road surfaces were noticeable! I did not fit a tow bar as the bike was simply too much of a challenge on rough terrain. Unfortunately (perhaps fortunately) it got stolen.

I then brought a Harley 750. This bike, and I have had more bikes than I can remember, is the best I have ever had. No vibration and a cruise that is so comfortable your granny would fall asleed as a pillion!
BUT, again when on muddy ground the bike is simply too 'big' and heavy (although lighter than the 883) to not get 'bogged down' and the rear tyre is so thick that mud gets everywhere.
I now have an electric pushbike and trailer for fishing.

So to answer your question, although I have had trail and trials bikes that would 'p' all over the Inazuma on rough / muddy roads out of the 3 x bikes mentioned above the Inazuma performs best over 'all' terrain.
Will I buy another? If I had the need for one in a heartbeat I would, But I now go fishing on the electric cycle and enjoy cruising along at high speed in comfort too much to look back!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 07:40:31 AM by tookadum »
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left !

Offline Megashorts

• Inazuma Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 07:53:47 AM »
For bumpy roads an adventure bike is the way to go. I've got a V-Strom 1000 as well as the Inazuma. Its like a magic carpet over some of the sorry excuses for roads we have here in the UK. Having said that I love the little Inazuma. Its pretty hopeless on fast (ish) bumpy bits but always makes me smile. I had an XTZ660 Yamaha years ago that was more off road focused that the V-Strom and that was great on broken roads too. I used to love roadworks, loose gravel and anything that scared me on the previous tank slapping sports bike. 

Offline Robell

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: GW250L3
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 05:08:57 PM »
The Inazuma's almost certainly better than my Speed Triple on bumpy roads  :008:

Having said that, it's probably 30 mph slower, so it' probably not a fair comparison  :008:
" it's better to burn out, than to fade away "

Offline WaffleHouse

• Inazuma Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 05:15:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by tookadum [+]
Well I guess I can give you first hand experience of the latter part of your question.

I do a lot of fishing, I usually go on days that end with a 'y'!

I had a naked GS500 that I used for everything (piccie attached) - the engine was punchy enough for motorways and it loved rough terrain - to compare it to the Inazuma in my opinion is like comparing twins, only difference is one was faster!   Due to divorce I reluctantly had to sell it.

After divorce / money was finalised I too had a scooter - I fitted a tow bar and towed a trailer of fishing gear over all terrain. Due to the light weight of the bike it performed well but the wheels were too small for muddy or rough terrain - thankfully it was stolen.

When I had my Inazuma I fitted a tow bar and towed a trailer laden with fishing gear over 'back roads' across fields and along canal towpaths. Although I rarely rode quickly across these area's I never 'held back' and the little Inazuma never let me down. Bumpy roads were handled with ease and due to the light weight of the bike it never got 'bogged down' in mud.
I am not 'fat' but am 'XL' size and I always keep my bikes rear suspension set at the 'mid point'.
I really loved my Inazuma and it could do all that I wanted i.e. 70mph down the motorway or transport me to the fishing venues laden with gear.

But then the darkside got me!  I brought a Harley Iron 883 which although could cope better than the Inazuma on motorways (obviously) it simply was all over the place on bumpy terrain - show it a patch of mud and it would show you how quickly it could get stuck!  It was too heavy and vibrated everywhere. Bad road surfaces were noticeable! I did not fit a tow bar as the bike was simply too much of a challenge on rough terrain. Unfortunately (perhaps fortunately) it got stolen.

I then brought a Harley 750. This bike, and I have had more bikes than I can remember, is the best I have ever had. No vibration and a cruise that is so comfortable your granny would fall asleed as a pillion!
BUT, again when on muddy ground the bike is simply too 'big' and heavy (although lighter than the 883) to not get 'bogged down' and the rear tyre is so thick that mud gets everywhere.
I now have an electric pushbike and trailer for fishing.

So to answer your question, although I have had trail and trials bikes that would 'p' all over the Inazuma on rough / muddy roads out of the 3 x bikes mentioned above the Inazuma performs best over 'all' terrain.
Will I buy another? If I had the need for one in a heartbeat I would, But I now go fishing on the electric cycle and enjoy cruising along at high speed in comfort too much to look back!

You have had some bad luck with stolen bikes.

The Harley 750 is a surprise. I read a bunch of reviews and it sounds almost Japanese, the first Harley I could see myself buying, were they not so expensive compared to comparable Japanese bikes.

I am pleased that you found the Inazuma as good on the rough stuff as I have.  I was concerned that I had rose-colored glasses or something.
Thanks for the response.

Offline WaffleHouse

• Inazuma Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 05:21:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by Megashorts [+]
For bumpy roads an adventure bike is the way to go. I've got a V-Strom 1000 as well as the Inazuma. Its like a magic carpet over some of the sorry excuses for roads we have here in the UK. Having said that I love the little Inazuma. Its pretty hopeless on fast (ish) bumpy bits but always makes me smile. I had an XTZ660 Yamaha years ago that was more off road focused that the V-Strom and that was great on broken roads too. I used to love roadworks, loose gravel and anything that scared me on the previous tank slapping sports bike.

Prior to spending all of the money on suspension for my other Suzuki, I was told I probably really want a Vstrom.  Except that I had owned a SV650N for about 16 years and I wanted an inline four. 
And again, I am happy that your experience with the Inazuma on the bumpy stuff matches mine.  But you find the Vstrom better on the bumpy stuff than the Inazuma?  The Vstrom's suspension was stock?  And what model year was it?
Thank you.

Offline WaffleHouse

• Inazuma Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 05:24:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by Robell [+]
The Inazuma's almost certainly better than my Speed Triple on bumpy roads  :008:

Having said that, it's probably 30 mph slower, so it' probably not a fair comparison  :008:

Yeah, my newer Suzuki probably has about the same suspension characteristics as the Speed Triple. Not enough travel. A bit on the stiff, sporty side. 

Thank you.