Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 1024
  • stats Total Posts: 23402
  • stats Total Topics: 1759
  • stats Total Categories: 12
  • stats Total Boards: 25
  • stats Most Online: 3076

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Speedo Light  (Read 401 times)

Offline Wookiee

• Inazuma Member
  • Bike: 2014 Suzuki 250
Speedo Light
« on: January 15, 2020, 01:58:11 PM »
Hi all, happy new year.

The speedo light isn't working on my Inazuma, only noticing now as it's dark when I leave for work & come home again which makes knowing what speed I'm doing a bit difficult  :002: Would this be down to a bulb failure or is it something more complex? I've not had the time to take the instrument cluster out to see so thought I'd ask on here, if it's a bulb then I'll get one ordered before stripping it out. All warning lights are working, LED parts of the display are all OK as well.

Cheers.

Offline tookadum

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: Black = Fast!
Re: Speedo Light
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 03:17:19 PM »
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think the speedo is an LCD unit and is lit by an LED - no bulbs present . Both are supposed to be not user serviceable parts.

Not sure if your dealer has a fix for this because they are VERY expensive to replace. Ebay sometimes has 2nd hand units listed but they are usually around £140+

I would be tempted to dismantle it and have a go at replacing the LED or simply get an additional LED and fix this so it shines on the speedo.

They are actually designed to outlive the life of the bike.   :110:

« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 03:21:12 PM by tookadum »
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left !

Offline Wookiee

• Inazuma Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 03:37:21 PM »
I was worried that this might be the case, surprising as LED's have a long lifespan normally, oh well I guess I'll be pulling it apart at some point to see if the LED can be replaced. I would think that it can be, a mate of mine changed the colour of the LED on his DRZ400 so it must be possible.

Offline tookadum

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: Black = Fast!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 04:08:33 PM »
Yes - it is possible and relatively easy. You just need to make sure that you have a good (thin) soldering iron as a lot of these components are very small. Another way to do it is to purchase some soldering glue / wire glue - a bit expensive but well worth it.

Something to remember - sorry if you already know but not everyone does - when you install a LED they have a positive and a negative side - if you mix them up they don't work.  :157:

Good luck

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left !

Offline onazoomerF

• Inazuma Member
  • Bike: GW250 F
  • City / Town: Perth
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 03:49:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by tookadum [+]
not everyone does - when you install a LED they have a positive and a negative side - if you mix them up they don't work.  :157:
Thanks. I didn't know.

Offline Wookiee

• Inazuma Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 01:32:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by tookadum [+]
Yes - it is possible and relatively easy. You just need to make sure that you have a good (thin) soldering iron as a lot of these components are very small. Another way to do it is to purchase some soldering glue / wire glue - a bit expensive but well worth it.

Something to remember - sorry if you already know but not everyone does - when you install a LED they have a positive and a negative side - if you mix them up they don't work.  :157:

Good luck

Cheers gent, I work in an I.T repair department by day so we've got all the relevant kit for small component soldering. Just need to wait for a quiet moment so I can use the workshop for myself :-)