Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 1024
  • stats Total Posts: 23403
  • stats Total Topics: 1759
  • stats Total Categories: 12
  • stats Total Boards: 25
  • stats Most Online: 3076

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: power/fuel (?) problem  (Read 769 times)

Offline paul

• Inazuma Junior
power/fuel (?) problem
« on: January 28, 2020, 08:43:39 AM »
Hi
I've got an intermittant problem with my inazuma, which sometimes loses power while riding, or splutters and cuts out on idle. Sometimes just blipping the throttle clears it. Other times it's a bit more persistant. It does seem to be more common when it's been raining hard. I'm wondering if it's water getting in somewhere... perhaps the fuel tank. Any thoughts? If it's the tank, is it easy to drain - anything to watch out for when draining it?
Cheers
Paul

Offline tookadum

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: Black = Fast!
Re: power/fuel (?) problem
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 10:50:41 AM »
There are a lot of 'could be's' with this issue I am afraid.

Before you do anything else take a look at the plugs. Give them a good clean and possibly if they are bad replace them.

Air filter too - clean or replace.

Other than that the fuel system is pretty simple to drain but it could also be an electrical / sensor problem.   

Also, if you are able let it dry out completely and try it - that will give you an idea if it is caused by water / damp.

An error like this is a case of 'trial and error' but likely to be an easy fix without throeing too much monay at it.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left !

Offline paul

• Inazuma Junior
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 01:12:01 PM »
thanks for this suggestion...
it happened first (following a lot of rain) just before i had it serviced... mechanic tested all of these things, and still couldn't work out what was wrong
but fortunately the problem went away for a while shortly afterwards
we've had a lot of rain recently, and it's returned - most serious when i was driving in heavy rain, where it nearly gave up the ghost entirely
so i think it's water-related, just not sure how!
paul

Offline tookadum

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: Black = Fast!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 06:32:46 PM »
Well if it is caused by the rain I doubt it will be because of water in the tank - unless you have a serious problem water takes a lot of time to build up so a couple of days riding in the wet will unlikely cause that.

Damp can cause electrical issues but once it is dried out they should go away. Check the spark plug leads, plug caps and ignition cables are not damaged / cracked.

So it's likely to be a fault that, although it is worse in the wet, is a pemanent fault that is likely there but just may seem worse in the wet?

Is the mechanic a suzuki dealer? if so an ecu check could be done.

Like I say - trial and error I am afraid but if you check each component as you go along you will find the issue.  Did you check the plugs - one of them could have a damaged electrode?

If you are convinced it is water related and have access to a hose pipe - let your bike stand ticking over then spray water over the plug leads and ignition components - if that does not cause the problem spray the ignition switch and all exposed electrical items on the bike i.e. switches etc.   If the bike does not splutter etc, then it is not water related ;)

:012:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 06:42:41 PM by tookadum »
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left !

Offline paul

• Inazuma Junior
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 06:56:02 PM »
thanks tookadum - useful tips
cheers
paul

Offline Robell

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: GW250L3
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 04:54:58 PM »
There is a drain, under the filler cap, to allow water to drain away.
Tho this should only allow water into the fuel, if you lift the cap
" it's better to burn out, than to fade away "

Offline paul

• Inazuma Junior
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 08:24:21 AM »
thanks - i'll have a good look at that
paul