Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 983
  • stats Total Posts: 23148
  • stats Total Topics: 1708
  • stats Total Categories: 12
  • stats Total Boards: 25
  • stats Most Online: 364

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Wheel bearings going?  (Read 398 times)

Offline QuickPaws

• Inazuma Member
  • Bike: GW250L3
  • City / Town: NM
Re: Wheel bearings going?
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 10:59:27 PM »
Since I don't believe in leaving help hanging - I'm back! :)

I think a multitude of things have added up to my issues. I (was) overdue on my chain maintenance.  I did my clean and lube and some of the feel went away. I cleaned again, and a little more went away. There is no discernible lateral movement in the tire though, with it off the ground.   

However, I am due for a new rear tire, and that was my project today. Videos and 2 hours later, I'm bumming a ride off my shop buddy to a shop here in town. For whatever reason, I just couldn't get that 2nd bead over the rimwall. Anyway -IN looking at the carrier bearing, I think I notice some play and grittiness in it.  Not a lot, but it would certainly make me think this is the issue. The two wheel bearings feel perfect and fine; smooth with no gritting when I spin them with my finger.

So, I think it's the carrier bearing I've been feeling. I have all balls on standby, so I can get the set with my next check. I will probably just replace all three in the rear.

Thanks everyone so much for the guidance and support. :) You all are the best.  :821:

Offline tookadum

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: Black = Fast!
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 08:48:37 AM »
Sounds like you are 'getting there'!  :821:

You are a brave man attempting a tyre replacement yourself - not a job I would do without losing a finger or two but also bear in mind that the wheel may need balancing (depending at what speed you ride at) which could cause an issue further down the line with, guess what? - worn wheel bearings caused by poor wheel balancing !  :138:

Good luck with it and hope you sort it :152:
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left !

Offline WaffleHouse

• Inazuma Member
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 12:26:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by QuickPaws [+]
<......>

However, I am due for a new rear tire, and that was my project today. Videos and 2 hours later, I'm bumming a ride off my shop buddy to a shop here in town. For whatever reason, I just couldn't get that 2nd bead over the rimwall.

<........>

Swapping a tire is fairly routine.  If you were able to break the bead getting the tire off, you should have found getting the new one on to be the easier part. Re-watch videos or find different videos.  Assuming the near side of the tire is being put on the rim first, be sure to push it down toward the middle of the rim & use vegetable oil on the tire bead.

I have changed wheel bearings on bikes before.  My appetite for changing them is a LOT smaller than changing tires.  There is something about hammering, even light hammering, that bothers me. I have never had or used any kind of press, but I guess that could make it more civilized.   Good for you!

Offline tookadum

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: Black = Fast!
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2019, 01:53:12 PM »
Good point! But no need for an expensive press - a G Clamp  with a block of wood both sides works perfectly  :821:
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left !

Offline Robell

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: GW250L3
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 04:24:18 PM »
tbh, I gave up fitting my own tyres years ago.

There's too much chance of damaging the alloy.
A tyre fitter can do it quicker, can balance it afterwards and can dispose of the old tyre - many recycling centres won't take old tyres.
" it's better to burn out, than to fade away "

Recent Topics