Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 1018
  • stats Total Posts: 23362
  • stats Total Topics: 1754
  • stats Total Categories: 12
  • stats Total Boards: 25
  • stats Most Online: 3076

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Wheel bearings going?  (Read 1858 times)

Offline QuickPaws

• Inazuma Member
  • Bike: GW250L3
  • City / Town: NM
Wheel bearings going?
« on: October 19, 2019, 03:06:36 AM »
It's been a while, and things are exciting!   :087:
First I searched, and found this -

*Originally Posted by xris_xcess [+]
OK, fyi:

Front:
x2 15x42x13mm OEM #: 08123-63027

Rear:
x1 (sprocket): 25x62x17mm OEM #: 09262-25073
x2 (wheel): 17x47x14 OEM #: 08123-63037

For me its much cheaper to source the bearings myself, good quality japanese, than to buy at the dealer. The seals are going to be an issue though.

***edit*** I don't believe it to be steering head bearings; everything feels pretty tight and clean there. I'm pricing out all bearings though, just in case I feel adventurous, haha

Alright - against my better judgement... I started a new topic, even though I'm pretty sure I'm on the right path;

I think a rear wheel bearing(s) are on it's way out.  I noticed it the other day when I clutched in and was coasting to a stop at an intersection, and there was this faint, barely noticeable grind?. Not audible, but I can feel it. I had to ride to and from work the next couple days (*yesterday, and today; I noticed it earlier in the week, maybe Tuesday or Wednesday; and I suspect it's been there longer, I just was more in tune, I guess....) I digress.

It's late now that I'm home, but I am going to investigate tomorrow. So, here's my question - I have noticed that a lot of aftermarket suppliers don't manufacture parts for the 2013 Inazuma; but, they do for 14-17. So, in my hunt for bearings, (I prefer All Balls, because I don't know any better; so if someone does, I always appreciate new information :) ) that's where I started. ....

Is there any difference between the 13 wheels and the 14 wheels, in that I couldn't buy a 14 bearing kit, and have it work?  I know I can just buy Suzuki, or oem, but I figured if I'm going to do it.... Maybe put some quality in it?

I appreciate the insight and any guidance.  I'll update with more information in the morning. (it's 2000 here now, and I am just beat from work)

Thanks!

Mike
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 03:09:51 AM by QuickPaws »

Offline tookadum

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: Black = Fast!
Re: Wheel bearings going?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 12:42:50 PM »
Well if you look at the following two links, one is for the 2013 Inazuma and the other for a 2014 you will see that the part numbers are the same. So you could therefore assume that the bearings did not change post 2013 ;)
https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/suzuki-parts/2013-gw250-motorcycles/rear-wheel

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/suzuki-parts/2014-gw250-inazuma-motorcycles/rear-wheel
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left !

Offline QuickPaws

• Inazuma Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 08:47:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by tookadum [+]
Well if you look at the following two links, one is for the 2013 Inazuma and the other for a 2014 you will see that the part numbers are the same. So you could therefore assume that the bearings did not change post 2013 ;)
https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/suzuki-parts/2013-gw250-motorcycles/rear-wheel

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/suzuki-parts/2014-gw250-inazuma-motorcycles/rear-wheel

First - Thanks for the reply! I really appreciate it. :)

Second - Oh man >< I never, ever thought to compare part sheets for the years. Gotta think more outside the box.

Third  - Based on what I'd posted, do you think it's wheel bearings? (I'd plan on just replacing front and rears at this point) I got the bike with 4k miles on it, and I'm just now hitting 13.7k (so about 8k miles in a year). It is my primary commuter - I ride in everything that isn't frozen, so it has gotten (very) wet. I also live in the desert (SW), so it's often dusty as can be.

Thanks again!

Mike

Offline tookadum

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: Black = Fast!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 06:26:09 AM »
You are very welcome - happy to help where I can.

13k is low mileage for bearings to give out, having said that the conditions you describe are not good for bearings and could well be the reason!

If you have a centre stand, (or if not find a way of lifting the wheels off the ground) and simply spin them - if the bearings are shot there will be a faint grinding noise, there could also be sideways movement on the wheel depending on how bad they are.

Assuming the brakes are not rubbing and the chain is in good order the only thing that could produce a noise like you mention is the bearings.

They are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace - if you are doing them I would also replace the oil seals too as it looks like debris is getting past them into the bearings.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left !

Offline Robell

• Inazuma God
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 07:54:00 PM »
I had an irregular "feel" on the rear, the MOT tester found it, but couldn't ID the problem.

It turned out to be the bearing in the carrier, rather than the wheel bearings themselves. Tho you might as well change the lot. The o/e Suzuki are cheap, nasty items. Same applies to the fronts.
" it's better to burn out, than to fade away "

Offline QuickPaws

• Inazuma Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 10:30:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by tookadum [+]
You are very welcome - happy to help where I can.

13k is low mileage for bearings to give out, having said that the conditions you describe are not good for bearings and could well be the reason!

If you have a centre stand, (or if not find a way of lifting the wheels off the ground) and simply spin them - if the bearings are shot there will be a faint grinding noise, there could also be sideways movement on the wheel depending on how bad they are.

Assuming the brakes are not rubbing and the chain is in good order the only thing that could produce a noise like you mention is the bearings.

They are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace - if you are doing them I would also replace the oil seals too as it looks like debris is getting past them into the bearings.

*Originally Posted by Robell [+]
I had an irregular "feel" on the rear, the MOT tester found it, but couldn't ID the problem.

It turned out to be the bearing in the carrier, rather than the wheel bearings themselves. Tho you might as well change the lot. The o/e Suzuki are cheap, nasty items. Same applies to the fronts.

Thank you both so much for the extra input and guidance. I am still pretty new to motorcycling, but have quickly racked up miles as a commuter. x)  (Curves are way more fun now. Hahah)

I suspected it was bearings when I initially discovered the problems. The chain and both front and rear sprockets are new (er) by me when I'd swapped to a new xring chain, 15t sprocket, and new JT rear sprocket; that, coupled with what input you've given me leans me heavily towards bearings. ... there was also that incident where some idiot rear ended me, soooo maybe that plays into it too.

I know I ride in (unfavorable) conditions, but I try my best to take care of her when I ride wet.

I'll go do final checks now, and see what I come up with. I'm willing to bet that the three of us are correct in our conclusions though. :)

Once again, thank you both very much. You've certainly put me at ease a bit.

I'll be buying the AllBalls sets here in an hour or two if that's what I determine are the issues.  :)

Cheers!

Mike

Offline Wookiee

• Inazuma Member
  • Bike: 2014 Suzuki 250
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 09:47:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by QuickPaws [+]
... there was also that incident where some idiot rear ended me, soooo maybe that plays into it too.

You could be on to something there, I was rear ended on my Thundercat years ago & the rear wheel seemed to develop a 'grind' a short while afterwards. Maybe coincidence, if you can raise the rear wheel off of the ground give it a spin and see if you can feel/hear anything. While it's up in the air grab hold of the top and bottom of the wheel and push/pull with your hands, if there's 'sideways' movement then you're looking at a replacement bearing.  :821:

Recent Topics