Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 983
  • stats Total Posts: 23148
  • stats Total Topics: 1708
  • stats Total Categories: 12
  • stats Total Boards: 25
  • stats Most Online: 364

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Remove oil pan  (Read 278 times)

Offline xris_xcess

• Inazuma Member
  • Bike: Gw250l5
  • City / Town: Casablanca
Remove oil pan
« on: August 05, 2019, 03:16:14 AM »
Hi!

Anyone suggest/or have removed the oil pan after a a couple of k km? To check/look/clean?

Worth it? Would there be a layer of muck and/or sediment to clean?

If you have removed it, did you manage to salvage the gasket? Or got a new one?

Cheers.
Candy Red 2015

Offline tookadum

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: Black = Fast!
Re: Remove oil pan
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 03:34:39 PM »
Did not do it on my Inazuma but I did do it once on a bike that had done over 50,000 miles that I decided to rebuild. I was expecting there to be a layer of sludge / grime in the sump but was amazed to find it spotless! Probably due to the fact that I had always used a quality oil. I am not sure why you are wanting to remove yours - if your oil flows freely out at oil change without any sediment being evident you could very easily rightly assume that there is no sludge present.

With regard to reusing the gasket - don't bother even thinking about it. For the relatively low cost of any gasket it is silly to reuse the old one on ANY job.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left !

Offline Robell

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: GW250L3
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 07:12:51 PM »
As  above  :002:

If the oil's been changed regularly, there's no reason for sludge in the sump
" it's better to burn out, than to fade away "

Offline xris_xcess

• Inazuma Member
  • Bike: Gw250l5
  • City / Town: Casablanca
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 07:34:24 PM »
 Ok. Thanks for the info.

Gaskets down here are not easily available or cheap, so if I can get reuse the one i got the better, knowing that its not ideal.

Havent noticed any sludge or excess sediment. I did, however, install a magnetic oil plug. Next oil change I will see if it has picked anything.
Candy Red 2015

Offline tookadum

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: Black = Fast!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 06:21:05 AM »
I have, as I say, not removed that gasket. I know sometimes that they can be reused if you are very careful but that is not always the case.
If it is inevitable that you need to remove the gasket then some sealer could be used as an alternative. If not I would steer clear!

However, I own a Harley Davidson and parts in the UK are not always cheap or readily available but through forums such as these I have managed to get people to send me small parts such as oil pan seals etc. which in the UK (if available) are about £2 but in USA you can get 10 for that much - I am sure someone could help you out if you were to get stuck!  :028:

I have always fitted a magnetic drain plug - they are a very good indication as to what is happening with the engine and an effective way of removing small particles especially when the bike is new and being run in.

A quote I have always lived by when I am not sure whether to dismantle something or not is - 'if it ain't bust - don't fix it!'  :821:
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left !

Recent Topics