Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 1017
  • stats Total Posts: 23352
  • stats Total Topics: 1751
  • stats Total Categories: 12
  • stats Total Boards: 25
  • stats Most Online: 3076

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Valve clearance check  (Read 2438 times)

Offline tookadum

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: Black = Fast!
Re: Valve clearance check
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2019, 07:39:55 AM »
Very nice - if you like that sort of thing!  :009:

Mine at least is not 'overly' noisy - enough so you know it is behind you at the lights I guess, but I can pull away without frightening old ladies (aka Kantara) or if I open the throttle and feel really mean children being breast fed 10 miles away bite off their mommies nipples!  :745:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 07:56:01 AM by tookadum »
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left !

Offline Kantara

• Inazuma God
  • Take care out there.
  • Bike: Suzuki Marauder
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2019, 12:46:30 PM »

Hey tookadum is that your bike, or one of your mates?  If it is yours where is the stool you use to get up onto the bike.

Those pipes didn't come with the bike did they?  Someone put them on to impress the big boys.  I bet the coppers love them.  :745:

15 love.
Kantara

Offline Kantara

• Inazuma God
  • Take care out there.
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2019, 12:54:00 PM »

Sorry but I forgot to ask on my last post, what is the security wire for, in case someone tries to steal your fence?

30love

Kantara

Offline tookadum

• Inazuma God
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2019, 01:43:42 PM »
Electric point - anyone ever comes near my baby with rogue intentions will hopefully have said goodbye to their family prior to doing so  :134:

That is where I keep her when a ride is imminent - she has a warm and secure place in the shed normally  :169:

Seeing as how it's a nice warm day why don't you ask your Mrs to get your long trousers out for you and help you push the bike out of the garage, you can then play on the pavement outside. Keep off the road though cos it ain't safe unless you have a bike that can keep up with the milk float !  :745:

Offline Kantara

• Inazuma God
  • Take care out there.
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2019, 04:02:35 PM »

I would have loved to put the bike out in the drive and just sat on it in the sun.  Not possible because the missis was checking the valves on the Marauder because they were clacking a bit. :150:
Kantara

Offline Ottawa

• Inazuma Junior
  • Bike: 2017 GW250
  • City / Town: Ottawa
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2019, 09:10:03 PM »
How often is everyone checking valves? Just had my 5k maintenance done (at 6000k because I’m an idiot who misread the manual) and I’m not a fan of the dealer prices.

Is the valve check a quick afternoon sort of job I can do with a cold beer and a couple swear words? Or does the dealer need to do it. My warranty is good until 2023 so not sure if I should be taking it to the dealer regardless.

Offline tookadum

• Inazuma God
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2019, 07:13:12 AM »
I guess if you want to keep the warranty and if money is not an issue then let the dealer do it at a service. Personally I simply don't trust dealers to do a good job so do mine myself.

With regard to your question:

A beer, unless you are a fast drinker is gonna be wasted - just chew on a gum and save the beer for later  :821: Suzuki will likely tell you it is an hour and half job and will charge you as such.  :003:

As you are suggesting doing it I am presuming that you have an understanding of how to actually do it and are not a complete novice.

If that is the case then checking / adjusting the valves should take you around half an hour including all of the dismantling required - after you have done it once it will likely take about 15 minutes the second time as the dismantling will be easier.

The Inazuma requires (according to Suzuki) for the valves to be checked at every service i.e. annually. This I think may be a little 'over - the - top' unless you are doing a lot of mileage, but having said that it is such an easy job to do that I would do it annually just for peace of mind.

I don't think I ever needed to adjust mine, but did check them,  and I often rode for distances at high rpm but it is better to be safe than sorry  :028:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 07:20:57 AM by tookadum »