in: PW

Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 1045
  • stats Total Posts: 23509
  • stats Total Topics: 1781
  • stats Total Categories: 12
  • stats Total Boards: 25
  • stats Most Online: 3076

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fitting additional lights  (Read 602 times)

Offline Trurider

• Inazuma Member
  • Just returning to Motorcycling
  • Bike: Inazuma
  • City / Town: Fareham
Fitting additional lights
« on: June 21, 2019, 12:32:06 PM »
I am thinking about installing additional LED lights on my bike just to make my bike more visible during the day and at night.  I have checked that such would be quite legal in the UK.  My question is what wattage can I get away with without damaging the bikes electrical system.  What should I be looking for - any advice?   :440:

Offline tookadum

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: Black = Fast!
Re: Fitting additional lights
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 03:45:04 PM »
Nothing you put on will damage your bike - you just need to ensure that there is a fuse between your power supply from the battery to the lights of the appropriate size - this will depend on the wattage of the lights that you are using.

I put a pair of these on my Harley for daytime running, I rarely use it in the dark but they are very bright and should suit your purpose. I would run a lead from your battery with a fuse, to a switch, then to the lights. There are a wide variety available and this is just an example:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-Electric-Mountain-Headlight-Spotlight/dp/B07B65LVPQ/ref=sr_1_143?keywords=led+motorcycle+lights&qid=1561127959&s=gateway&sr=8-143
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left !

Offline Trurider

• Inazuma Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 08:44:51 AM »
Actually that isn't true at all.  Simple Logic let alone Electrical knowledge would tell you that the Alternator only makes so much Electrical Power.  If you exceed the capacity of the Alternator it will overheat and die.  Now maybe that isn't an issue on a Harley as it starts life damaged.  In trust they use the same Alternator across the range and the Glides all had extra lights as standar.  What I need toknow is that output of the Alternator as standard and the normal everyday load in order to find out how much SPARE power I have to play with. 

Offline tookadum

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: Black = Fast!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 12:19:57 PM »
You asked the question what wattage can I get away with without damaging the bikes electrical system. As you are probably aware LED lights are very low wattage so I gave you a 'bog standard' answer to basically cover the question and to 'put your mind at rest'. If I had known that you wanted more detail I would have offered it.

When I said 'nothing that you put on your bike will damage the electrical system' I was correct.

All stators as standard have a 10 - 15% reserve to handle accessories. They are designed to produce more than enough power to operate all of the vehicles possible 'electrical draws' from a low rpm.
If your stator is working correctly and with every electrical item turned on you will never draw the normal operating capacity of the stator. You still then have the 10 - 15% reserve at all rpm's as well.

Even if you added something that did draw the full power of the stator there would be no damage to the bikes electrical system - the lights would simply be dim and some equipment may not operate correctly. If allowed to continue the battery would go beyond a usable voltage.

The only way you will damage the vehicles electrical system would be by fitting a stator that generates too much power or by altering the voltage regulator.

I doubt you will find anywhere the actual output of the stator but a simple way to test this would be to put a multimeter on the leads and check the output.

The advice I gave was based on the fact that the stator will easily carry additional voltage for LED running lights.

As to Harley's starting their lives damaged? Well, Harley and most other motorcycle manufacturers now have an additional connection from the fuse box for 'accessories', this can be from 5 to 15amp (sometimes higher) in order that additional lights etc. can be added.

You can calculate the wattage / amps here on this link if you are uncertain of the wattage you can use up to:  https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/amps-to-watts-calculator/

Not sure if you have the GW250 manual, if not it can be downloaded from the web:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/815691/Suzuki-Gw250.html?page=10#manual

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left !

Offline Trurider

• Inazuma Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 06:02:19 PM »
Chears

Recent Topics