in: wiz

Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 937
  • stats Total Posts: 22686
  • stats Total Topics: 1650
  • stats Total Categories: 12
  • stats Total Boards: 25
  • stats Most Online: 229

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Circs 1974 GT250A compared with the Inazuma 250  (Read 95 times)

Offline Trurider

• Inazuma Member
  • Just returning to Motorcycling
  • Bike: Inazuma
  • City / Town: Fareham
Circs 1974 GT250A compared with the Inazuma 250
« on: June 07, 2019, 10:24:12 PM »
I thought I might give a comparison of the GT250A the Gold one with the modern Inazuma.  The Suzuki 250 outsold the Yamaha, Kawasaki and Honda in the UK as it was the better bike. Setting one up properly to get the best out of it was difficult and frankly a pain but rewarding when you got it right.  Start it up on the kickstart and crack the throttle open and it always felt that the front wheel was light. It was a good town bike when ridden enthusiastically (O.K.  MADLY) and capable of going on runs into the countryside but two strokes ate plugs and carbs easily went out of tune  so it wasn't a tourer and a bloody nightmare (frightening)  on the motorway.  The old MZ 250's singles were a total contrast and I covered long distances on them and they with their lower tech and single cylinder just kept going and going and were far more comfortable.  The three pot Kawasaki's had a frame that felt as if someone had welded 30 hinges together.  Bloody lethal things.  The Yamaha's were equal to the Suzuki but not such fun to ride and the Honda 250 was a twin 4-stroke and could never be called exciting.   The modern Inazuma by comparison is a capable all rounder and although I have yet to do a very long run on it, It feels more than capable of touring and Motorway capable.  Technological advances over 45 years with fuel injection and water cooling as well as frame and tyre improvements as well as he fact of the longer chassis are definite pluses.  The GT250A's frame was always challenging to ride and if the air cooled engine got too hot then performance suffered.  Many a time I sat at the side of the road listening to the engine making noises as it cooled down before I could tinker with it and restore some performance.   I had much bigger bikes but with bigger bikes you get extra weight and they are not as chuck able as the smaller bikes were.   The Inazuma is not as chuck able but it handles well in my opinion especially at low speed and inspires confidence.  Ah, the passing of time.