in: Kantara

Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 937
  • stats Total Posts: 22686
  • stats Total Topics: 1650
  • stats Total Categories: 12
  • stats Total Boards: 25
  • stats Most Online: 229

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Alternative Exhausts  (Read 229 times)

Offline Trurider

• Inazuma Member
  • Just returning to Motorcycling
  • Bike: Inazuma
  • City / Town: Fareham
Alternative Exhausts
« on: June 07, 2019, 02:29:03 PM »
Today I popped ion to my nearest Suzuki dealer to get a new battery.  More of a spare than an actual replacement.  GW250 are so rare in the UK that the Spares dept had trouble finding any information on their computer system.  They had a GXR250R in the showroom even though it is not an officially listed bike in the UK
Now In the UK and Europe an exhaust system has to be E compliant and the best answer to that and the police is to buy a Manufacturers System.  They then have difficulty prosecuting you and in addition to a fine that could be 3 points on your licence.   The GSX250R has a 2 into one system and the Suzuki Vstrom 250 has something similar in black and both seem cheaper than the standard 2 exhaust systems though prices vary on the internet.  All up a saving of about £150.00 plus you save some weight. 

Offline scoothoot

• Inazuma Junior
Re: Alternative Exhausts
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 01:36:24 PM »
That's interesting the exhausts on the GSX and vstrom do look very similar and being the same motor a full system should probably fit the zuma. My bike is still relatively new and hopefully I will get a fair bit of usage before new pipes are required , although rust does seem to be significant problem. My fear is that as time progresses parts will become harder and harder to source so it is good to know that the above might provide a viable alternative. How old is your bike, are you likely to need new exhaust soon. Would be interesting to hear if anybody else has sourced alternative exhaust replacements.

Offline Trurider

• Inazuma Member
  • Just returning to Motorcycling
  • Bike: Inazuma
  • City / Town: Fareham
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 09:43:32 PM »
IN answer to your question my bike is three years old BUT I am retires and so it does not go out in the rain, is stored in a garage when not in use under a bike cover.  The exhaust is still 100%.  I did pop a bit of oil in the exhausts when hot which then burnt into an oil vapour which coats the insides.  It is an old bikers trick. 

Offline onazoomerF

• Inazuma Member
  • Bike: GW250 F
  • City / Town: Perth
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 02:18:01 PM »
One of my old bikes' exhaust was packed with fibreglas of something. The oil might saturate and hang on to the woolly stuff, but cause no harm.

When I put my bike away in the fall, I fill the tank with this oily treatment which goes through the exhaust as a vapour. My 250F has small holes where the stuff puffs out under the bike, so I know the pipes are getting "oiled" for the winter.

I don't know that the F has glas packing.

Just saying.

and my bike says she's envious of your bikes winter quarters.