Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 955
  • stats Total Posts: 22868
  • stats Total Topics: 1671
  • stats Total Categories: 12
  • stats Total Boards: 25
  • stats Most Online: 229

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear wheel play  (Read 177 times)

Offline Fenboy

• Inazuma Junior
  • City / Town: The Fens
Rear wheel play
« on: April 30, 2019, 01:48:31 PM »
Hiya,

Currently changing my chain and sprockets and I've just removed the rear sprocket and I've noticed play in the middle bit - the hub where the sprocket it attached.

Is that good, bad or indifferent?

Cheers

Offline tookadum

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: Black = Fast!
Re: Rear wheel play
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 02:10:26 PM »
Really hard to say without actually seeing it.  :012:

When the wheel is in place on the bike is there any lateral movement?

Could be that one or more of the bearings have worn - you might be better taking it into a mechanic for him to offer a diagnosis of if there is too much play or not as to simply replace all of the bearings is a costly exercise.

Should you need to replace any bearings the attached is a link to the components on the wheel.

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/suzuki-parts/2014-gw250-inazuma-motorcycles/rear-wheel
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left !

Offline Fenboy

• Inazuma Junior
  • City / Town: The Fens
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 02:41:59 PM »
Thanks for replying.

I thought that might be the case, it doesn't feel too bad with the wheel off so I'll put it back together and see how it feels.

Don't really want to send too much money on the ol' girl as I think that's to being used nearly all year with minimal maintenance and cleaning I fear it may not have much time left as rust is taking over.

Cheers

Offline tookadum

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: Black = Fast!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 03:09:19 PM »
Could just be that there is 'play' in the parts when they are 'on the bench'. Once they are fastened up they may be ok.

Any sideways vertical or horizontal play (even a minute amount) once the wheel is in place is cause for concern as is any grinding noise or stiffness in the wheel revolving - if you have none of these then you don't have a problem  :169:
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left !

Offline Robell

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: GW250L3
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 09:24:11 PM »
tbh, I believe the the original bearing sare very poor quality.

At one MOT, the tester said he thought he had felt some play in the rear wheel bearings, but couldn't be sure and passed it.

Soon after I made the decision to change the bearings, and while the wheel bearings seemed ok  it was that carrier bearing that was about to fail
" it's better to burn out, than to fade away "

disjointed-outlet