Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 917
  • stats Total Posts: 22471
  • stats Total Topics: 1618
  • stats Total Categories: 12
  • stats Total Boards: 25
  • stats Most Online: 229

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Instrument panel packed in!  (Read 352 times)

Offline AdamH31

• Inazuma Member
  • Bike: GW250F (Black!)
  • City / Town: Nr. Ware? Herts
Instrument panel packed in!
« on: April 02, 2019, 04:30:47 PM »
Hi everyone - I can't see anyone else ever having the issue, but if only to document it happening for posterity - mine has packed in so will be swapped in the next few days from a eBay seller's used stock.

For the last month or so I'd find the MPH/ KMPH read out reset as if a battery disconnect had happened. That got slowly worse to the point where it was happening 2-3 times a day and then finally the whole LCD went out so I lost gear indicator and fuel guage and the rev counter with it.  It then came back and this happened a few more times over a few weeks while I pondered what the cause could be and meanwhile stuck a GPS speedo app on my phone for a guide!

Eventually (last week) the unit went off and didn't come back (indicators, neutral light always worked) so I've pulled the whole bike to bits disconnecting and reconnecting every connector I could find to see if there was a crusty pin causing the issue. I found quite a lot of crust so fixed all that but still have no working LCD/ rpm so I've now ordered the new clocks.  Hopefully that fixes the old girl and I'll be back and legal again. Just a shame the original mileage is now lost and the pennies the bike is now worth are even less!

Having had to change the LH coil at the start of the year I'm hoping this is it for unexpected failures this year as I'd really prefer just to put fuel and service items into it until next summer when I'll hopefully put it out to pasture...

Just a side note: I've done 53K miles on it now; it's still going well and putting a smile on my face. I'm hoping I can get a little more life from the clutch by tightening it up again next service (it's slipping too much at the moment), but there's no noise yet from the cam chain so I'm still optimistic it'll do another year  :305:

Offline Robell

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: GW250L3
Re: Instrument panel packed in!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 08:00:54 PM »
 :028:

I'm on 36k miles. Only fault I've had on the dash is the neutral indicator.
Electrical woes I had last year turned out to be the ECU  :012:
" it's better to burn out, than to fade away "

Offline AdamH31

• Inazuma Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 09:49:04 AM »
Irritatingly, the dash is all back and working again today as if nothing was ever wrong! 

10 days with no display and then all fine.  :009: That's got me worried it isn't the instrument unit and a break in a wire somewhere that's the problem.  I think I'll go ahead and fit the new clocks anyway as it'll help to prove either way.  Just a shame with my 'F' model that I've got to pull 8 panels and the screen off to get at it!  :006:

I can tell it isn't just the LCD display that is failing as the mileage is missing from the last week. That said, having power to bits of the unit (indicators, neutral and 'red' lights as well as the LCD backlight) does make things confusing and is why I was leaning towards a problem in the instrument unit rather than with stuff going into it.

I 'm guessing it isn't just the speed sensor as that presumably wouldn't stop the gear indicator or the fuel indicator working and I'd have expected a failed speed sensor just to show zero and no rpms instead of nothing at all. I don't think it's the ECU as the bike is running happy as larry.

Gotta love a mystery!

Offline AdamH31

• Inazuma Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 02:25:44 PM »
Continuing the saga for those interested or amused; the replacement instrument set arrived, got installed and failed to help.

I now know there's unlikely a problem with my instrument panel, the trouble is I'm now looking at the ECU and wondering what's going on there.

Looking at the wiring diagram in the service manual; both the speed sensor and the fuel pump/ indicator send wires directly to the instrument panel, but they also send one to the ECU. The gear indicator seems to go only to the ECU. I've no way of testing wires other than to confirm continuity, but the biggest problem at the instrument panel plug was the cabling can't be got at so I had no way of telling which pin was which. I've a feeling the ECU plugs will be similar.

I've yet to pull the ECU out of it's cosy little hole so that's job one this evening. As the issue is intermittant I'm still hoping it's a loose connection that's causing the problem, but if I still draw a blank after cleaning the plugs, then I'm tossing up whether to go to a garage for them to figure out or just shoving it in the canal.  :151:

On a positive note, after popping the clutch cover off (and spending way longer than planned removing the old gasket) I took up the slack between the plates and the clutch is feeling great again.

Offline Actuim

• Inazuma Junior
  • Bike: Black GW250F
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 08:59:19 PM »
My instrument panel packed in on the way home today, indicators, high beam etc all work except for gear indicator, fuel gauge, speedometer and rev counter. Going to take her apart tomorrow and have a look and hopefully get it sorted. Did you manage to get it resolved and if so what was your solution?