Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 1123
  • stats Total Posts: 23759
  • stats Total Topics: 1827
  • stats Total Categories: 12
  • stats Total Boards: 25
  • stats Most Online: 3076

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Battery - Retain or buy a new one?  (Read 670 times)

Offline Kantara

• Inazuma God
  • Take care out there.
  • Bike: Suzuki Marauder
Battery - Retain or buy a new one?
« on: October 06, 2018, 10:46:27 AM »
 :148:
The last owner of the Marauder which I have just purchased had it for twelve years.  During that time I don't know if he replaced the battery.  I have had it on charge until it showed fully charged.  My mate checked it with his machine and it showed 12.7.  However I checked it yesterday and it showed 12.4.  Question is - should I keep this battery or buy a new one.  I don't want to be stuck with a dead battery.

Any help will be appreciated.
Kantara

Offline tookadum

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: Black = Fast!
Re: Battery - Retain or buy a new one?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 11:17:19 AM »
Send the Mrs to the corner shop for some AA's  :745:

But seriously - that battery has had to be replaced several times, I have known car batteries last a long time - my VW Polo is 15 years old now! but you are very lucky if you can get 5 years or more out of a bike one!

Raid the piggy bank and buy a battery optimiser, keep it on charge permanently and you should be fine. .3 of a volt drop is nothing.

Batteries are relatively cheap anyway and with your money you should buy one but the rest of us would try to make it last another winter at least.  :007:
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left !