Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 1107
  • stats Total Posts: 23719
  • stats Total Topics: 1815
  • stats Total Categories: 12
  • stats Total Boards: 25
  • stats Most Online: 3076

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Solution for mounting a generic windscreen and GPS/phone holder  (Read 3637 times)

Offline thatonedeadguy

• Inazuma Member
  • Bike: 2013 gw250
  • City / Town: Northern Cal
Not sure if this has been done before or is posted elsewhere.

There are multiple windscreens made specifically for the gw250. They probably work great, but I am a cheap bastard and wanted an adjustable option. The solution I found also allows me to mount a GPS, so I am happy with it. 750 miles at all speeds and no issues so far…

I went to the hardware store and purchased 2 x “1/2 inch drop in masonry anchors” (see picture), bolts of different lengths and some extra nuts. I was out the door for less than $8.

The bottom of these anchors expand as the bolt is tightened. The inside diameter of the handle bar pipe is slightly larger than the outside diameter of the anchors I purchased (measure with a caliper ahead of time). 

As for the nuts (and head of the bolt), there are 6 corners and 6 flats. The corners are almost 7/8” apart. 7/8” is a common handle bar diameter. By adding an extra nut to the bolt, you can create 12 points of contact for of the windscreen clamps to grab. If you want to add more handle bar accessories, just get longer bolts and more nuts.

Installation is simple. Make sure all the extra nuts are tight on the bolts. Remove the rubber caps on the inside of the bars. Slide the anchors in. Use pliers to hold the anchors and a socket wrench to expand it.

Now you have room on the “handle bars” to mount stuff.

Offline thatonedeadguy

• Inazuma Member
Re: Solution for mounting a generic windscreen and GPS/phone holder
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 01:04:41 AM »
(more pictures)

Offline thatonedeadguy

• Inazuma Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 01:06:28 AM »
(more pictures)

Offline Tayto

• Inazuma Master
  • City / Town: Munster
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 11:47:40 PM »
 :047:  Some clever thinking there dude  :028:

Did you put threadlock on the bolt to stop it loosening...  :084: think I'm about to answer my own question..
just thought that both bolt would be tightened in opposite directions which would mean they couldn't work themselves lose  :015:

I feel you idea will be useful to me down the line.. for that I thank you  :028: 

Offline thatonedeadguy

• Inazuma Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 03:25:01 AM »
I tend to use RTV silicone (smells like vinegar) on the threads of every screw or bolt. In this case though I don't think it is necessary.

It takes a good amount of force to turn the bolts to get the anchors to expand. 1/2" bolts/nuts can take a lot of torque, so once it goes on with a wrench, I'm not sure it will come off without one.

Offline Tayto

• Inazuma Master
  • City / Town: Munster
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 04:34:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by thatonedeadguy [+]
I tend to use RTV silicone (smells like vinegar) on the threads of every screw or bolt. In this case though I don't think it is necessary.

I would say you are right about not needing it, As one bolt tries to loosen itself The other will try to tighten,

It takes a good amount of force to turn the bolts to get the anchors to expand. 1/2" bolts/nuts can take a lot of torque, so once it goes on with a wrench, I'm not sure it will come off without one.

I used a very similar anchor last week,
 if you looked inside the anchor before putting the bolt in you would see a little plastic cap covering a slug that gets pushed forward to widen the end of the anchor,

If you ever needed to remove the anchor you would have  to first remove the bolt then hit out the slug from the other side then force the anchor case out,

My only worry would be corrosion of the inner handle bar due to electrolysis,
I could be wrong but the bolt is in an area that will get wet and this might speed up the electrolysis process,

You have a great idea to save money and I'm in no way cutting you down, I just don't want to hear your handle bar came off at the wrong moment... Just something to think about    :028:

Offline thatonedeadguy

• Inazuma Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 12:41:14 AM »
Good call Tayto!

I forgot about galvanic corrosion.

I will post again when I come up with a plan B.

disjointed-outlet