in: D-CruzinCR

Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 1046
  • stats Total Posts: 23514
  • stats Total Topics: 1781
  • stats Total Categories: 12
  • stats Total Boards: 25
  • stats Most Online: 3076

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2013 Inazuma.Rotten exhaust silencers.  (Read 3032 times)

Offline scaredcommuter

• Inazuma Junior
2013 Inazuma.Rotten exhaust silencers.
« on: April 15, 2017, 11:46:34 PM »
Bought my inazuma off ebay with a full years mot on it. Never noticed because of my own naiveity , and because of the chrome covers that the silencers were completely rotten, and rusted, they literally crumbled while being removed. After riding the bike for a year, it failed the MOT because of this. Was shocked as being a suzuki i thought the parts on the bike would last longer. I managed to find a second hand pair again on ebay, which i had put on the bike to get it back on the road. I am aware that these silencers and the exhaust box wont last too long. Has anyone had the same problem? If so what is the best long term solution? Has anyone purchased a replacement exhaust , and at what sort of cost? I was laughing when the new silencers first went on, as it sounds like a totally different bike, my earthy growl has gone. I used to rev the bike when trying to pass through traffic, everyone could hear me coming and the traffic parted, with the new silencers no one takes any notice of me. Any advice gratefully received.  :305:

Offline tookadum

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: Black = Fast!
Re: 2013 Inazuma.Rotten exhaust silencers.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 06:50:30 AM »
Unfortunately due to the combustion process an exhaust will always rot from the inside out, they usually if not cared for, rust on the outside, but this is nothing like what is happening inside and there is bugger all anyone can do about it.

In use an exhaust / exhaust gasses will keep the inside of the exhaust dry and therefore the rusting will be slowed down a bit but will still continue. When a bike is standing there is nothing to dry out the exhaust so it will rust - bl00dy fast too!

A higher quality exhaust is always available and will likely last longer but at the end of the day no matter what, it will rust!

You could have started something here now though - as you said your bike growled with the rusty exhaust I can see a couple of people tipping salt water in theirs to speed up the rusting process ! :164:

- have fun  :028:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 06:52:04 AM by tookadum »
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left !

Offline Robell

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: GW250L3
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 09:05:53 AM »
They all do that, esp if it's been used thro the winter. Silencers are easy enough to find on e-bay, at a price, but the only full system I've seen comes form China (iirc) no idea of the quality.

I've just bought the left silencer from Suzuki, £120, which I didn't think was too bad, in fact cheaper than some of the 2nd hand parts on e-bay  :008:
" it's better to burn out, than to fade away "

Offline Trurider

• Inazuma Member
  • Just returning to Motorcycling
  • Bike: Inazuma
  • City / Town: Fareham
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 08:01:17 PM »
An OLD Bikers trick is to pump some oil down the exhausts when the bike is running and the exhausts are hot.  The oil will coat the inside of the pipes.  They will smoke badly for 15 - 20 minutes and no ridding in that time or you will be nicked. 

Offline tookadum

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: Black = Fast!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 08:36:16 PM »
The theory is good but after a short time whatever is in or on the exhaust will get burnt off  :006:

I think it is one of the things we have to accept that if we keep the bikes a few years we will have to change the exhaust - we will just have to rely on other forum members to find exhausts that are at a reasonable price for replacement purposes.  :027:
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left !

Offline Lennairn

• Inazuma Master
  • Bike: Black Inazuma
  • City / Town: Nairn
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 08:22:44 AM »
The problem is much worse if the bike is used for a lot of short runs where the exhaust
doesn't get hot enough to burn off the Sulphuric acid thats produced, the same thing happens with a car.

Offline Ken

• Inazuma Junior
  • Bike: Inazuma GW250
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 07:54:27 AM »
Taobao actually sells some decent part, even oem and original parts.
cheaper than from dealer, depending on shipping costs
Ken