Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 1024
  • stats Total Posts: 23403
  • stats Total Topics: 1759
  • stats Total Categories: 12
  • stats Total Boards: 25
  • stats Most Online: 3076

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Service intervals and fees  (Read 3188 times)

Offline tookadum

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: Black = Fast!
Re: Service intervals and fees
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 04:36:49 PM »
I am in no way scared of doing anything at all on my bikes - a dealer will never see any of them.

But in my humble opinion:
Keeping receipts is fine it shows that the parts purchased are of a standard which may (or may not) be acceptable as replacements for the original. I doubt many dealers are able to use Suzuki parts 100% of the time.
However, receipts cannot show that the fitting of parts was done by a qualified mechanic and as such may not have been fitted / adjusted correctly and may subsequently cause damage to other components.
I used to service motorbikes and can remember countless times when bikes only a few years old have needed quite substantial top end engine rebuilds due to incorrectly adjusted valves. I agree that topping up fluids should be done on a regular basis but, here in the UK at least, that is as far as it goes. If something goes wrong with your engine etc. and the dealer is able to see that this was caused by someone messing around with something that they have not been trained to mess with I think any clain under warranty for parts to effect a repair would quickly be kicked into touch.

I am pleased that you are happy to service your bike yourself and that you appear to know how to go about it but it is not something that anyone should consider unless they are very proficient in what is required.  :182:

Servicing a bike or even complete engine rebuilds are not rocket science, and I commend anyone who is happy to do this as the financial savings are very high - providing you know what you are doing.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do with your bike. :016:
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left !

Offline advguy

• Inazuma Pro
  • BLUE-FASTEST PRODUCTION GW
  • Bike: FAST BLUE 2015
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 04:59:06 PM »
I agree with what you said in your post. I dont forsee much in terms of service needed (hopefully). Some things like top ends i know are easy but ill leave to a shop or likley have traded the bike in. With my mileage and how long i keep things for (warranty is gone so is the vehicle) i forsee oil and brake pads thats about it. Tires i cant do myself , but thats about it.

Offline Robell

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: GW250L3
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 06:50:50 PM »
I'm not sure you'd get away with home servicing, here in the UK. It doesn't have to be the franchise dealer, but you need receipts for parts and labour.

Having said that, after the first 600 mile service, I've done it all myself, never had cause to regret that. At 3k intervals I'd have spent £2,000 in servicing by now  :005:
" it's better to burn out, than to fade away "

Offline Kantara

• Inazuma God
  • Take care out there.
  • Bike: Suzuki Marauder
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 07:21:06 PM »
I applaud you members for carrying out all the necessary tasks required on your bike.  As I have mentioned before I do not have the technical knowledge to do this.

Therefore I will always take it to the dealer.  Once the job is done I get my service book stamped and keep the receipts.  If anything goes wrong with the bike with the jobs he has done then the ball is in his court.  I just want the job/jobs done correctly.  "If it aint broke don't mend it".  In other words let them with the technical knowledge carry out the work.

I know this costs money, but as far as |I'm concerned as long as the job is done then I pay irrespective of the cost.  I will have peace of mind.
Kantara

Offline tookadum

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: Black = Fast!
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 08:35:09 PM »
"If it aint broke don't mend it" ?   :182:

I take it this statement does not extend to drilling holes in exhausts ???    :112: 

:745:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 08:38:09 PM by tookadum »
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left !

Offline scoot

• Inazuma God
  • Ride safe Ride often
  • Bike: GO ON RIP IT OFF
  • City / Town: Bridlington
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 08:58:43 PM »
 :232:Oh matron  :745: :745:
Ride safe
Scoot  :305:
Adventure...BEFORE... Dementia

Offline advguy

• Inazuma Pro
  • BLUE-FASTEST PRODUCTION GW
  • Bike: FAST BLUE 2015
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2017, 09:39:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by tookadum [+]
"If it aint broke don't mend it" ?   :182:

I take it this statement does not extend to drilling holes in exhausts ???    :112: 

:745:

:047: