Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 1024
  • stats Total Posts: 23402
  • stats Total Topics: 1759
  • stats Total Categories: 12
  • stats Total Boards: 25
  • stats Most Online: 3076

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Lifts and special tools  (Read 1747 times)

Offline advguy

• Inazuma Pro
  • BLUE-FASTEST PRODUCTION GW
  • Bike: FAST BLUE 2015
Lifts and special tools
« on: March 30, 2017, 12:25:15 AM »
Does anyone use an atv or motorcycle lift....any regrets or things to watch for? Any other special tools purchased for the bike?

Offline tookadum

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: Black = Fast!
Re: Lifts and special tools
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 06:48:56 AM »
wow you are getting serious eh?  One wonders what you are planning to do with this blue speed machine erm. slow speed machine that is!

What's wrong with lying on the floor working on the bike?

The only thing I find usefull is a centre stand - as you probably know the bike does not come with one - here in the UK they are about £62 and very easy to fit. Well worth it I think as most common maintenance will likely be the chain and it's a lot easier to mess with when you can spin the back wheel.  :028:
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left !

Offline Kantara

• Inazuma God
  • Take care out there.
  • Bike: Suzuki Marauder
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 11:07:26 AM »
Most of the work, which I know I can do, like painting the exhaust pipes black heat resisting
black paint is done laying on my back.  Cleaning the chain is done sitting on a small stool

I must give the pipes another coat of paint because I can see small rust spots coming through.  Must try a different paint.

Only tools I have is a set of sockets, screwdrivers and the most common tools one would have in their toolbox.

All my servicing will be done by the dealer because I don't have the technical knowledge and taking those panels off is a  :172: so if the dealer breaks any he has to replace them.
Kantara

Offline tookadum

• Inazuma God
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 11:10:01 AM »
People with Black Inazuma's don't really need a bike lift - something to do with reliability perhaps?  :009:

Offline advguy

• Inazuma Pro
  • BLUE-FASTEST PRODUCTION GW
  • Bike: FAST BLUE 2015
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 01:54:00 PM »
 :192

Offline Robell

• Inazuma God
  • Bike: GW250L3
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 02:24:47 PM »
I've done all my maintenance with the bike on the centre stand.
With a centre stand and a jack, you can get both wheels, swing-arm and the head bearings out, which covers most things.
I do have an Abba stand for my other bike (sidestand only), which is effectively a seriously heavy duty centre stand  :002:

The advantage of a bench is that it gets the bike up off the floor, to a working height, but you still need the means to jack the bike up.
" it's better to burn out, than to fade away "

Offline tookadum

• Inazuma God
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 02:31:50 PM »
Clearly the poor fellow is concerned about reliability issues - I am saying nothing about bike colours!  :164:

I have a paddock stand but it's a mare to get this, or indeed ANY bike onto it unless you have an assistant that you can trust!  :110:

But I agree a centre stand and a car jack should be enough to cover the majority of work - anything more than that and you are better taking the engine out and working on a bench.  :173: